Skip to main content

Food: easy five spice soda bread

In that idle time between Christmas and New Year some have dubbed Twixmas, I found myself recuperating from spending a week with my very intense mother-in-law by watching mid-morning TV.


I flicked over to Nadiya's British Food Adventure where this recipe for red split lentils and five-spice soda bread caught my eye.

I'm a big fan of curry; it's my favourite cuisine and the combo of lentil soup and soda bread ticked the right boxes. My dad is a keen breadmaker and he talked about making soda bread over Christmas which had tickled my interest. While I like the idea of making bread, I'm unlikely to have bread flour or yeast in and I find the kneading and proving off putting, but soda bread is doable.

The lentil soup was eaten before I thought of photographing it. It's similar to dhals we routinely make for dinner - so cheap and easy to do - though the garlic and butter were a treat. The bread has lasted for a few days as there are only two of us in the house. I managed to snap a photo of the last chunk before polishing it off.

The final chunk of soda bread


I'll definitly make this again. The seeds add a delicious pops of flavour and it is so quick and easy to make. A handy standby for when I've run out of bread and can't be bothered to go to the shops or a nice gift if a friend has us over for dinner.

Before I get to the recipe itself here's the modifications I made:

  • I didn't have any strong flour in so I tried gram flour instead, using 350g wholemeal flour and 150g of gram flour. It worked! Next time I'm going to try half and half as I like the higher protein content of gram flour.
  • I didn't have any nigella seeds but did add half a teaspoon of chili flakes. MrG noticed they sank to the bottom of the bread, a nice surprise. The spices are delicious, I might play around with different combinations in future loaves.
  • I only had semi-skimmed milk in so added a little soy yogurt to the milk and vinegar. The tip for making butter milk is very useful. Thanks Nadiya!


Red split lentils and five-spice soda bread by Nadiya Hussain

Ingredients


For the five-spice soda bread
250g/9oz wholemeal flour
250g/9oz strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp fine salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp Indian five-spice (cumin, mustard, fenugreek, nigella and fennel seeds)
400ml/14fl oz buttermilk (see tip below)

For the lentils
150g/5½oz red split lentils
1 bay leaf
1 dried red chilli
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp fine salt
75g/3oz unsalted butter
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
handful fresh coriander (approx. 10g), roughly chopped

Method

Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6 and line a baking tray with baking paper.


For the soda bread, put the flours, salt, bicarbonate of soda and five-spice into a large bowl and mix well. Make a well in the centre and add a little over half the buttermilk. Bring the dough together by hand, adding more of the buttermilk if needed (you may not need any more).


As soon as all the flour is absorbed and the dough comes together, lightly flour the work surface, tip the dough onto it and roll into a neat ball. Place on the baking tray. Using a sharp knife, make a cut down the centre vertically and then the same horizontally to form a cross, cutting all the way down to the base. Bake on the middle shelf for 30 minutes, until the bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Put on a wire rack to cool.


While the bread is baking, wash the lentils, rinsing them till the water runs clear. Put the lentils into a pan with 1 litre of cold water, the bay leaf, red chilli, turmeric and salt. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes the mixture should be thicker and the lentils will have broken up.


Melt the butter in a small frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sliced garlic and fry until golden-brown. Pour the garlic and butter into the lentils and mix through. Now add the chopped coriander and take the pan off the heat. Serve the warm lentils with chunks of soda bread.


If you don’t have buttermilk, as most of us normally don’t, just mix 4 tablespoons of lemon juice or white vinegar with 400ml of milk, stir and leave to sit for 5 minutes. And hey presto – you have buttermilk.

If you enjoyed this you can find more of Nadiya's recipies on the BBC website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti

Ceilings

Over Easter we went to Istanbul. It's one of those cities that's been lurking in the corners of my mind, from tales of Roman Constantinople, to bordering Europe and Asia with its dreaming mosque minarets. So I booked a bargain of a city break two days before we left, chucked some clothes in a bag, picked up a guidebook and off we went. There are more blog posts and photos on the way, as we had an excellent time there, but as you can see I was quite taken with ceilings and spent most of our four days there looking up.

We have a winner...

Check out my pea seedling, how intact and un-nibbled it is. My mysterious object, as correctly guessed by Madmurdock and Montyknits, is a gastropod guard. It seems to be working. I'd heard that slugs and snails don't like slithering over hair. I tried using hair clippings a few years ago as a barrier. It worked for a few days, til I found chewed, leafless stems and on further inspection a guilty slug covered in ginger hair. Hopefully the fleecy barrier will stay in place and mean I get a good late crop of peas. Congratulations to the winners and thank you to everyone who took part.