Skip to main content

Wanton abandonment

One of the things I enjoy about living in London is the easy availability of ingredients from all over the planet. Just off Leicester Square is Chinatown, home to a fantastic supermarket with three floors of Asian delights. If I'm in the area, usually at one of the independent cinemas or National Portrait Gallery, I'll pop into the supermarket and browse with a mix of intrigue and bafflement at the range of ingredients from Japanese carrot milk to Thai galangal to wanton wrappers.

Chinese New Year 2011
Chinese New Year 2011, London

In summer 2011 I went on holiday to China. Our fantastic hostel in the hutongs north of the Forbidden City in Beijing held a dumpling night which was free for guests, where they demonstrated how to make dumplings/gyoza/wantons. We mucked in and after a few messy attempts were proficiently wrapping parcels of veg, egg and pork for the meat eaters.

Dumplings

 See the look of concentration on my friend's faces.

 Dumplings

I had a go at this when I returned home but making the pastry was tricky, so the next time I was in Chinatown I picked up a pack of wrappers in the freezer section.

Gyoza experiment

Tonight I had a go at making wantons. I'd been sprouting mung beans (yes, I'm that sort of person) so I minced some of those in the food processor along with some ginger, garlic, cavolo nero leaves from the allotment (again, just think of me in the Good Life) and quorn pieces which I'd stir fried for a few min before chopping.

Gyoza experiment

Taking my wrappers out of the freezer it dawned on me that I didn't know how to prepare them from frozen.  Trying to prise them apart with a knife shattered them and the instructions on the back of the packet were in German, so I had to improvise - yes I could have googled it but where would the fun be in that? I poured some freshly boiled water into a dish and let the wrappers sit for a about 20 seconds which enabled me to peel off the bottom few wrappers, repeating the process until I had enough. I popped the rest back in the freezer for further experimentation.

Gyoza experiment

Stuffing them was fairly easy, though I found it hard to get the edges to stick compared with fresh dough. Keeping my fingers and the wrappers wet helped and stopped them from sticking to everything else.

Gyoza experiment

After some fiddling I decided to chance it and boil the gyoza without worry if they fell apart or not. It worked! Sort of. Some did fall apart, partly due to my lack of patience when I was fishing them out of the water.

Gyoza experiment

Here's the worst of it

Gyoza experiment

and the best of it.

Gyoza experiment

The stuff drizzled over them is my improvised teryaki sauce which is dead easy to make - see the end of this post for details.

So, the important part, nevermind how they looked, how did they taste? Pretty good, seeing as we gobbled them down in a matter of seconds.

Will I make them again? Well the prepration to eating-time ratio is pretty high so maybe in another six months I'll have another go. In the meantime, Chinatown also sells frozen Korean kim chee gyoza, which are pretty excellent and only take a few minutes to boil. Sorted!

Teriyaki-esque sauce

This is a variation from a recipe in Yo Sushi: the Japanese Cookbook

I didn't have any sake (a shame, I know) or mirin.

3 tbsp low salt soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp Japanese rice wine vinegar (a wine vinegar with gentle flavour will work well)

Boil ingredients, adding a small amount of water if the sauce gets thick to quickly. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and the sauce is the consistency desired. That's it. Told you it was easy. Keeps any leftover sauce in the fridge.

Dumplings
Hostess with the mostess dumplings



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti

We have a winner...

Check out my pea seedling, how intact and un-nibbled it is. My mysterious object, as correctly guessed by Madmurdock and Montyknits, is a gastropod guard. It seems to be working. I'd heard that slugs and snails don't like slithering over hair. I tried using hair clippings a few years ago as a barrier. It worked for a few days, til I found chewed, leafless stems and on further inspection a guilty slug covered in ginger hair. Hopefully the fleecy barrier will stay in place and mean I get a good late crop of peas. Congratulations to the winners and thank you to everyone who took part.

Ceilings

Over Easter we went to Istanbul. It's one of those cities that's been lurking in the corners of my mind, from tales of Roman Constantinople, to bordering Europe and Asia with its dreaming mosque minarets. So I booked a bargain of a city break two days before we left, chucked some clothes in a bag, picked up a guidebook and off we went. There are more blog posts and photos on the way, as we had an excellent time there, but as you can see I was quite taken with ceilings and spent most of our four days there looking up.