Skip to main content

Frakking Socks - Episode III

As I was visiting my parents I couldn't spend all weekend knitting, especially on a lovely day out to Durham.

I didn't knit when we stopped for a picnic lunch by the River Tees as I was too busy feeding the ducks and taking in the view.

Lunch time

If I'd been knitting plain socks I might have been able to knit and walk. But I wasn't, so I didn't knit as I walked along the Tees, taking in the lovely scenery.

River Tees


I also didn't knit when we were trying to spot Durham Cathedral through the trees

Spot the Cathedral

or when we examined this interesting sculpture

???

or when we visited the Old Fulling Mill , Museum of Archeology which was a bargain at £1 to visit.

Old Fulling Mill

Inside there was an exhibit of Chinese Funeral stuff and also British History, mostly of the surrounding area. I thought you might like these Bronze age spinning whorls.

Bronze age whorl

I didn't knit while over looking the Tees either but did take a photo of sock no. 2.

Frakking socks in Durham

I also didn't knit (yes there is a theme here) when we went into Durham Cathedral

Nice knocker

as there was too much to look at including the final resting place of the Venerable Bead, wonderful carvings and the shafts of light entering the main atrium (sadly no photos allowed).

Durham Cathedral

There was a wedding taking place while we were inside so we were treated to bell ringing and some superb organ playing, the bass went right through me. If I was religious and the marrying type I'd be seriously tempted to get married there just for the organ music. It was thrilling.

I did knit on the park and ride back to the car park, while munching on some rhubarb fudge Mr Gingerknits had discovered in the market place (there are also a few habadashery and yarn stalls in the market place, some had decent acrylic and nice acrylic wool blends), and in the car on the way home. I wasn't driving.

Knitting Frakking socks

I also knit for most of the evening, watching Kick Ass, which did, ahem, Kick Ass, and had finished both legs (I didn't make the cuffs as long as the ones in the pattern as I have short legs) and one heel, which was tricker than I thought it would be which induced a fit of swearing and cries of "why didn't I knit plain socks!". Though where would the fun have been in that?

We also popped out for a quick stroll round the field behind my parents house, which had sheep in it. Most of them were Texcels, so not of much interest to me, but we also spotted two Blue Faced Leicesters. Sadly they had already been shorn but it was nice seeing where one of my favourite wools comes from.

Next on Frakking socks: Much more swearing and a deadline!

http://www.thisisdurham.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti

Ceilings

Over Easter we went to Istanbul. It's one of those cities that's been lurking in the corners of my mind, from tales of Roman Constantinople, to bordering Europe and Asia with its dreaming mosque minarets. So I booked a bargain of a city break two days before we left, chucked some clothes in a bag, picked up a guidebook and off we went. There are more blog posts and photos on the way, as we had an excellent time there, but as you can see I was quite taken with ceilings and spent most of our four days there looking up.

We have a winner...

Check out my pea seedling, how intact and un-nibbled it is. My mysterious object, as correctly guessed by Madmurdock and Montyknits, is a gastropod guard. It seems to be working. I'd heard that slugs and snails don't like slithering over hair. I tried using hair clippings a few years ago as a barrier. It worked for a few days, til I found chewed, leafless stems and on further inspection a guilty slug covered in ginger hair. Hopefully the fleecy barrier will stay in place and mean I get a good late crop of peas. Congratulations to the winners and thank you to everyone who took part.