Skip to main content

Stashbusting

On Monday I went along to my first ever Stitch and Bitch London meeting. I was partly in my p/hop role as they were holding a yarn swap for MSF but I also went as a knitter and yarn swapper. I've written about the p/hop side of things over on the p/hop blog so I won't repeat myself here.

I did take part in the yarn swap which brings me to stashbusting. One of my favourite interweb knitting friends, mostcurious, spent a lot of last year monitoring her stash, measuring the amount of yarn in vs the amount of yarn out. I kept on meaning to do this but my yarn buying habit went out of control. This year I'm on a self imposed yarn diet. If I need something specific to a project that I don't have in my stash I will buy it however that is all. No more impulse buys (ahem, unless they are in the sale).

Stitch & Bitch for Haiti

So to the maths. I'm not even going to add up all the meterage in my stash as frankly it scares me. What I'm going to do is monitor new yarn in vs yarn out. On Monday I swapped 9 balls of kidsilk haze (in purple, gorgeous stuff but really not my colour) with the PurplePurler (she was very very happy) and also swapped a ball of undyed Bluefaced Leicester sock yarn and a few sachets of Koolaid. I took in 2 balls of DK weight Rowan felted tweed in a light mossy green colour and one ball of light brown merino.

Meters in 470 - Meters out 2214 = Overall change in meterage: -1744m
Weight in 150g - Weight out 325g = Overall change in weight: -175g

Money to p/hop from my transactions (me and the swapees), about £50.

So win, win , win all round.

It's good letting go of yarn. I'm still thinking up potential projects with purple kidsilk haze but I've had over a year to use it and it hasn't happened so I feel good about letting it go to a better home where it will receive more stroking and love.

As for Stitch and Bitch London, I loved it. It's the friendliest knitting group I've ever been to so I think I may become a regular. I met people who I "know" through twitter which was great fun, putting real faces to names and avatars. If you want to learn to knit or just hang out with a fantastic mix of knitters come along. The details are in their newsletter.

Comments

MrsGKnits said…
hi Clare!
just given you a Sunshine Blog Award. Details of what it is and how to pass it on are on my blog.
Agnes xx

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti

We have a winner...

Check out my pea seedling, how intact and un-nibbled it is. My mysterious object, as correctly guessed by Madmurdock and Montyknits, is a gastropod guard. It seems to be working. I'd heard that slugs and snails don't like slithering over hair. I tried using hair clippings a few years ago as a barrier. It worked for a few days, til I found chewed, leafless stems and on further inspection a guilty slug covered in ginger hair. Hopefully the fleecy barrier will stay in place and mean I get a good late crop of peas. Congratulations to the winners and thank you to everyone who took part.

Ceilings

Over Easter we went to Istanbul. It's one of those cities that's been lurking in the corners of my mind, from tales of Roman Constantinople, to bordering Europe and Asia with its dreaming mosque minarets. So I booked a bargain of a city break two days before we left, chucked some clothes in a bag, picked up a guidebook and off we went. There are more blog posts and photos on the way, as we had an excellent time there, but as you can see I was quite taken with ceilings and spent most of our four days there looking up.