Skip to main content

On boredom and what to do...



I had my knee operated on two and half weeks ago. The first two weeks flew by, partly thanks to opiates and partly due to Mr Gingerknits working at home so I had someone to yell at when I wanted a cup of tea.

I've set up a separate knee blog (which is already woefully neglected) so I won't bang on about the aftermath of knee surgery here. What I will bang on about it how very very bored I am. Now I'm off my crutches in the flat Mr G has gone back to work but I still can't get very far outside. The influx of get well wishes has reduced to a trickle amd although I am still getting weekend visitors the week days have started to drag by. Knitting helps, as does BBC radio 4 and of course Ravelry, however I have discovered my threshold. My brain needs more activity.

I've been thinking on what I'd like to be good at in life, as well as knitting. I've dabbled in holiday Spanish but would like improve so I don't make mistakes such as telling a pharmacist he had diarrhoea instead of me. Hmm, thinking about it do I want to lose such beautiful holiday memories of insulting natives. Actually given my inability to learn grammar, even in English, I think I'll still make mistakes but with more vocab.

After a quick search I found the Open University's Open Learning website which has hundreds of free short courses ranging from Modern Languages to Babylonian Mathematics to Textiles in Ghana. I'm a tad overwhelmed at the mo and want to read everything. Some list making and planning is in order but hopefully it will help banish my boredom demons.

I'm also going to engage in some stash busting calculations as inspired by my friend Mostcurious from the AAC group on Ravelry. Hopefully this will inspire me to finish my WIPs (Works in Progress).

I'll think of a few more boredom banishing goals over the weekend.

Watch this space...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi! *waves* I'm glad someone else enjoys my number nerding...

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti

Ceilings

Over Easter we went to Istanbul. It's one of those cities that's been lurking in the corners of my mind, from tales of Roman Constantinople, to bordering Europe and Asia with its dreaming mosque minarets. So I booked a bargain of a city break two days before we left, chucked some clothes in a bag, picked up a guidebook and off we went. There are more blog posts and photos on the way, as we had an excellent time there, but as you can see I was quite taken with ceilings and spent most of our four days there looking up.

Donegal Aran Socks

When Bioniclaura came to stay for KnitNation she very kindly gave me some Donegal Aran Tweed Yarn . The yarn is made in Ireland in a mill in Kilcar, County Donegal and I bought a little more of it when I visited the Knitting & Stitching show in Dublin with p/hop in October. As I'm supposed to be making 52 pairs of socks this year of course I made socks. The yarn is lovely to work with and though it feels a little rough at first after a gentle wash in some soak it softens up beautifully. I made these socks toe up, using Judy's Magic cast on for the toes. I cast on 18 stitches and increased every other round using YOs knitted through the back loop to 36 stitches on 3.75mm needles. They have a standard heel flap and gusset and were very quick to knit, taking one evening per sock. I gave this pair to my Mother in Law for Christmas and she is very happy with them. Though she loves all my knitting and often contemplates nicking things I have made for other people like some yarny